St Augustine's Church

The church of St Augustine occupies the site of the former parish church of St Philip and St Jacob that was built in 1131. Because it was in a bad state structurally, the Augustinian monks started building a new church and the cloisters in 1276. The remainder of the initial monastery buildings were completed over the next 80 years. The church of St Augustine is the oldest and the first to be completed of all the monastic churches in Erfurt. As an ensemble of historic buildings it is highly esteemed for its powerful stylistic unity. Even today many visitors from all over the world marvel at the stained glass windows which are amongst the oldest in Erfurt and date from as early as 1310 and 1330. The monks exercised a strong influence on the people and church services were also held in the open as is shown by the external pulpit.

The times of our church services are here.